Menarcheal age of blind girls
Menarcheal age in blind
Menarche is a developmental milestone. Age at which menarche is attained is highly variable and highly sensitive to a variety of internal and external forces like climatic conditions, physical and mental factors, nutrition and socio-economic status. Exposure to light and other visual cues may influence the pubertal changes. Menarcheal age (MA) of 110 blind girls was compared to that of 102 normal girls of same age group and of same area of residence. An advancement of 9 months in MA was seen in blind girls. Influence of light and other factors on menarche is discussed.
- Johnston FE. Control of age at menarche. Hum Biol. 1974 Feb; 46(1):159-71. [Pubmed]
- Oproiu G. Influence of climatic factors on the appearance of the first menstrual cycle. Obstet Gynecol. 1968; 16:133-8.
- Frisch RE, Revelle R. Height and weight at menarche and a hypothesis of critical body weights and adolescent events. Science. 1970 Jul 24; 169(3943):397-9. [Pubmed]
- Frisch RE, Revelle R. Height and weight at menarche and a hypothesis of menarche. Arch Dis Child. 1971 Oct; 46(249):695-701. [Pubmed]
- Tehrani FR, Mirmiran P, Golami R, Moslehi N, Azizi F. Factors influencing menarcheal age: Results from the Cohort of Tehran lipid and glucose study. Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2014 Jun 10; 12(3):e16130. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Baidwan S, Paul MM, Chhatwal J, Deswal RS. Growth and sexual maturity patterns of girls with mental retardation. Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2014 Jan-Jun; 4(1):38-42. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Skandhan KP, Pandya AK, Skandhan S, Mehta YB. Role of few factors on menarcheal age. J Obstet Gynecol India. 1981; 31:314-7.
- Onyiriaka AN, Ehirim FA, Apiodun PO. Assessment of age at menarche of Nigerian urban school girls. Pacific J Med Sci. 2013; 11(1):3-11.
- Kulin HE, Bwibo N, Mutie D, Santner SJ. The effect of chronic childhood malnutrition on pubertal growth and development. Am J Clin Nutr. 1982 Sep; 36(3):527-36. [Pubmed]
- Rao S, Joshi S, Kanade A. Height velocity, body fat and menarcheal age of Indian girls. Indian Pediatr. 1998 Jul; 35(7):619-28. [Pubmed]
- Roberts DF, Chinn S, Girija B, Singh HD. A study of menarcheal age in India. Ann Human Biol. 1977 Mar; 4(2):171-7. [Pubmed]
- Skandhan KP, Pandya AK, Skandhan S, Mehta YB. Food habit, religion and urbanization of menarche. Gynecologie. 1981; 3:281-3.
- Madhavan S. Age at menarche of South Indian girls belonging to the states of Madras and Kerala. Int J Med Res. 1965; 53:663-73.
- Muller C, Sturma J. Menarche in urban and rural girls. Leck Obz. 1974; 19:509-14.
- Israel S. The onset of menstruation in Indian women. BJOG. 1959 Apr; 66:311-6. [Crossref]
- Tunau KA, Adamu AN, Hassan MA, Ahmed Y, Ekele BA. Age at menarche among school girls in Sokoto, Northern Nigeria. Ann African Med. 2012; 11(2):103-7. [Crossref]
- Jafarey NA, Khan MY, Jafarey SN. Role of artificial lighting in decreasing the age of menarche. Lancet. 1970 Aug 29; 2(7670):471. [Pubmed]
- Jafarey NA, Khan MY, Jafarey SN. Effect of artificial lighting on the age of menarche. Lancet. 1971 Apr 3; 1(7701):707. [Pubmed]
- Tanner JM. Earlier maturation in man. Sci Am. 1968; 21:218-28.
- Parent AS, Teilmann G, Juul A, Skakkebaek NE, Toppari J, Bourguignon JP. The timings of normal puberty and the age limits of sexual precocity: variations around the world, secular trends, and changes after migration. Endocrine Rev. 2003 Oct; 24(5):668-93. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Tanner JM. Growth at adolescence. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific Publications, 2nd ed, p.152, 1962.
- Malina RM, Chumalea C. Age at menarche in deaf girls. Ann Hum Biol. 1977 Sep; 4(5):485-8. [Pubmed]
- Skandhan KP, Dayani SA. Menarche and menstrual cycle among deaf girls. Gazz Med Ital. 2001; 160:1-4.
- Roberts DF, Dann TC. A 12-year study of menarcheal age. Br J Prev Soc Med. 1975 Mar; 29(1):31-9. [Pubmed]
- Bazrafshan H, Behnampour N, Sarabandi F, Mirpour S. Association between puberty and weight, height and body mass index in a developing community. J Pak Med Assoc. 2012 May; 62(5):454-7. [Pubmed]
- Bhalla M, Srivastava JR. A prospective study of the age of menarche in Kanpur girls. Indian Pediatr. 1974 Jul; 11(7):487-93. [Pubmed]
- Flint M. Menarche studies in India. J Indian Med Assoc. 1976 Jan 1; 66(1):20-3. [Pubmed]
- Zacharias L, Wurtman RJ. Age at menarche. Genetic and environmental influences. N Engl J Med. 1969 Apr 17; 280(16):868-75. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Zacharias L, Wurtman RJ, Schatzoff M. Sexual maturation in contemporary American girls. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1970 Nov 1; 108(5):833-46. [Pubmed]
- Dann TC, Roberts DF. Menarcheal age in University of Warwick young women. J Biosoc Sci. 1993 Oct; 25(4):531-8. [Pubmed]
- Singh SP, Malhotra P. Secular shift in menarcheal age of Patiala (India) school girls between 1974 and 1986. Ann Hum Biol. 1988; 15(1):77-80. [Crossref]
- Graham MJ, Larsen U, Xu X. Secular trend in age at menarche in China: a case study of two rural counties in Anhui province. J Biosoc Sci. 1999 Apr; 31(2):257-67. [Pubmed]
- Bagga A, Kulkarni S. Age at menarche and secular trend in Maharshtrian (Indian) girls. Acta Biol Szeged. 2000; 44(1-4):53-57.
- Pathak PK, Tripathi N, Subramanian SV. Secular trends in menarcheal age in India-evidence from the Indian human development survey. PLoS One. 2014 Nov 4; 9(11):e111027. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Skandhan KP, Pandya AK, Gandhi M, Sumangala B, Jaya V. Recalling menarcheal age: Three generations and siblings. (Communicated)
- Datta B, Gupta D. The age of menarche in classical India. Ann Human Biol. 1981 Jul-Aug; 8(4):351-9. [Pubmed]
- Skandhan KP, Pandya AK, Skandhan S, Mehta YB. Menarche: prior knowledge and experience. Adolescence. 1988 Spring; 23(89):149-54. [Pubmed]
- Zacharias L, Wurtman RJ. Blindness and menarche. Obstet Gynecol. 1969 May; 33(5):603-8. [Pubmed]
- Thomas JB, Pizzarello DJ. Blindness, biological rhythm and menarche. Obstet Gynecol. 1967; 30:507-9.
- Magee K, Basinska J, Quarrington B, Stancer HC. Blindness and menarche. Life Sci. 1970; 9(1):7-12. [Crossref]
- Zacharias L, Wurtman RJ. Blindness: Its relation to age of menarche. Science. 1964 May 29; 144(3622):1154-5. [Pubmed]
- Reiter RJ. Melatonin and human reproduction. Ann Med. 1998 Feb; 30(1):103-8. [Pubmed]
- Reme CE, Wirz-Justice A, Terman M. The visual input stage of the mammalian circadian pace making system: I. Is there a clock in the mammalian eye? J Biol Rhythms. 1991 Spring; 6(1):5-29. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Bellastella A, De Bellis A, Bellastella G, Esposito K. Opposite influence of light and blindness on pituitary gonadal-function. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014 Jan 13; 4:205. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Silman RE, Leone RM, Hooper RJ, Preece MA. Melatonin, the pineal gland and human puberty. Nature. 1979 Nov 15; 282(5736):301-3. [Pubmed]
- Aleandri V, Spina V, Morini A. The pineal gland and reproduction. Hum Reprod Update. 1996 May-Jun; 2(3):225-35. [Pubmed]
- Bellastella A, Pisano G, Iorio S, Pasquali D, Orio F, Venditto T, Sinisi AA. Endocrine secretions under abnormal light-dark cycles and in the blind. Horm Res. 1998; 49(3-4):153-7. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Czeisler CA, Shanahan TL, Klerman EB, Martens H, Brotman DJ, Emens JS, Klein T, Rizzo JF 3rd. Suppression of melatonin secretion in some blind patients by exposure to bright light. N Engl J Med. 1995 Jan 5; 332(1):6-11. [Pubmed] [Crossref]
- Fletcher RF, Brown PS. Pituitary function in malnourished women. Clin Sci. 1959 Aug; 18:367-73. [Pubmed]
- Trivedi CR. Height and weight measurement in Gujarat University students. Indian J Med Res. 1977 Dec; 66(6):1037-42. [Pubmed]
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors warrants and represents that the submitted MANUSCRIPT is an original work and has not been published before in any form, and that it does not infringe upon any copyright or other right(s), that it does not contain infringing, libelous, obscene or other unlawful matter, that he/she is the sole and exclusive owner of the rights here-in conveyed to the Publisher, and that he/she has obtained the customary permission from the copyright owner or his legal representative whenever a text/passage from copyrighted material is quoted or a table or illustration from such material is used. The Author(s) will indemnify the Publisher for, and hold the Publisher harmless from any loss, expense or damage occasioned by any claim or suit by a third party for copyright infringement or arising out of any breach of the foregoing warranties as a result of publication of the Article. The Article shall be delivered to the Publisher free of copyright charges. In the event that the Article is not accepted and published by Publisher, this agreement becomes null and void.
Plum X metrics
Article level metrics are shown here